Saturday, January 2, 2016

Fancy Cell Toys Transportation Captain - Astrotrain

Transportation Captain is a rather surprising find. The only review I could find for this figure was one in Chinese. I originally cancelled my pre-order, but I really wanted an Astrotrain that would pair well with Generations Blitzwing so I ordered him once he was available.

Train mode looks pretty good, except for some panel gaps in the fake wheels. Unfortunately, the back does not open up for The Movie scene recreations, but I have an idea how to achieve that affect in Photoshop. The extra trailer is attached by two pegs in the back. It doesn't attach in any other mode.

Shuttle mode is not very strong, but it does have some nostalgic value for resembling the original toy. The missile pods are optional.

Robot mode is what I got him for, and he doesn't disappoint. The shuttle tail fin can fold out for toy accuracy or be folded away for cartoon accuracy. Out of the box, the shins weren't pegged in all the way causing the ankle tilt to be extremely loose. Once I realized the problem and tabbed in the shins, he no longer falls over backwards.

His head is on a ball joint and has good range of motion. Although his shoulders can butterfly backwards for transformation, they are blocked by the wings. Normal shoulder rotation is unaffected though. His fingers can open and close through a single pin. He has single jointed elbows and knees. His has swivels at the biceps, wrists, waist, and upper thighs. He also has ankle tilts and rockers.

Transformation through all the modes is surprisingly easy and smooth. I want to boast that this is the first time I've done a complete set of transformations by actually looking at the manual.

His accessories include a trailer that opens into a battle station of sorts, a rifle, a satellite with an articulated arm, two pairs of missile pods, four clear purple energon cubes, and an alternate head. Unfortunately, nothing can store in the trailer when it is closed up. The alternate head resembles that of the G1 toy. The rifle loosely slots into his fist. Unless you hold him upside down, it won't just fall out because the handle is rather long.

Transportation Captain will stand nicely on my shelf next to Generations Blitzwing. DX9 Chigurh is quite a bit larger so stands on my Masterpiece shelf and Toyworld Devil Star just doesn't look like Astrotrain to me. It's always great to be surprised by a new company. I look forward to see what their next project will be.












No comments:

Post a Comment