Monday, May 15, 2017

Fans Hobby Megatooth - Repugnus

I only have vague memories of the Monsterbots. I think I had the Doublecross figure when I was a kid. Fans Hobby Megatooth is a big and chunky version of Repugnus that I'm glad I finally decided to pick up.

Beast mode is really odd looking, but so was the original character. He's huge and is practically the same height as in robot mode. His claws and and mandibles are chromed. The bug head really creeps out my daughters. I love it.

His articulation is mostly the same in both modes. His beast neck is on a ball joint. His mouth can open quite a bit. While his mandibles can only widen a little, his claws can spread pretty wide. His arms are on swivels and hinges, with swivels just above the elbows. His double-jointed elbows let him bend his arms 90 degrees in both directions, but the lower joints are really loose. His feet claws can tilt upward.

Transformation between both modes is extremely simple. Not only are there really few steps, but there is absolutely no fiddliness. Everything lines up easily and readily. Those looking for a challenge may be disappointed.

In robot mode, his chest proportions are a little odd and his backpack is pretty large. Despite that, he is very well-balanced. Although the few paint application that is present is cleanly applied, I do not care for the Fans Hobby branding on his legs and crotch. It's nothing that can't be fixed in Photoshop if I use him in a project.

His head is on a ball joint and his neck sits on a tilting platform for transformation. He can look down more than up. His shoulders are on hinges and ratcheted swivels. They can raise outward and upward to 90 degrees. He swivels at his biceps, wrists, waist, and thighs. His thumbs are fixed. The rest of his fingers are single-pinned and articulate as one unit, but his pointing fingers have an additional articulating knuckle. His elbows and knees are ratcheted and double-jointed. His elbows can achieve full curls. It seems as if his knees would be able to as well but for the claws hitting the back of his body. He also has an ab crunch. His hips are on ratcheted universals that allow him to achieve full front and side splits. His feet are on hinged ball joints for a wide range of motion for ankle tilts and rockers. Although he doesn't need it, the claws on the back of his feet can be folded down to act as heel spurs.

His only accessory is his rifle. It is white plastic with panel lines but no paint. The barrel detaches. The handle and his hands use a slot and groove mechanism, similar to that of the Maketoys Headmasters. Unfortunately, it is not as secure as it should be because of the hand sculpt. The rifle will eventually rise up and fall out of his hands as you manipulate his arms, but it's nowhere near as bad as most Masterpiece-styled tabs.

I've reorganized my display along companies and lines. Megatooth will stand next to the Headmasters from Maketoys. His beefy proportions may not be completely true to the original character, but I find it sets him apart from most of the other figures on my shelves. Although I'll probably skip their Archenemy figure, I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on the rest of the Monsterbots from Fans Hobby.










No comments:

Post a Comment