Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Mastermind Creations Boreas - Cyclonus

Mastermind Creations Boreas - Cyclonus

Jaegertron is my least favorite of Mastermind Creations offerings. I don't dislike the figure, but I'm not as fond of it as others in the line. Boreas doesn't bring anything new to the sculpt to change my opinion on it, but I still enjoy the figure.

I like his space fighter mode more than Jaegertron's. It seems to hold together a little better. There are still gaps in the body. His nose cone looks like it should close up more securely, but it doesn't. Although his cockpit canopy doesn't open, he has working landing gears that let him roll along pretty smoothly. Generations Brainstorm still has my favorite space fighter mode though. The guard of his sword has a magnet that lets it attach to metal circles underneath either wing.

As is usually the case, transformation to robot mode is pretty straightforward. On my copy, the wing of his left leg won't stay tight against his leg. Going back to his space fighter mode, I had trouble getting his right side to stay tabbed together. His feet keep popping up and his instep covers won't stay down. When I saw stress marks forming on the backpack pieces of his wings along the joints, I stopped trying to squeeze him together.

Like Jaegertron, his arms reach to his knees and his legs are never really straight. I wish the wings would either have a solid click for being extended or tab to his backpack instead of flapping about loosely. I'm not sure that I like the pink lines running throughout his body. Perhaps red or purple lines would look nicer. The paint is clean though. I like the face sculpt on the head with the missing horn. As expected, there is no shortage of line work for lots of visual interest. 

I think his head is on a rod at the end of a ball joint, but it is effectively a limited swivel with virtually no vertical articulation. His shoulders are on swivels and hinges. The swiveling plates they rest on stay in place more readily than they did on Jaegerton. Unfortunately, he can only raise his arms to about 45 degrees before his shoulders hit his head. He swivels at his biceps, forearms, wrists, waist, and thighs. His elbows and knees are double-jointed, but only his knees have ratchets. He can almost perform full curls at both joints. His fingers are fixed in an open grip. His hips are on universal joints, with ratchets in the frontal axis. He can achieve a full side splits, but not quite a full front splits. His feet are on ball joints. 

His accessories include a sword and two heads. It's more or less the same style of swords we've been getting with the Reformatted figures. There is some metallic gold paint application on the base of the blade and the guard. He holds it just fine in his hands. One head has both horns intact and gold eyes while the other has a missing horn and red eyes. I wish he came with a rifle.

Boreas will stand on my Reformatted shelf. This is not my favorite Mastermind Creations mold so I hope it's the last we will see of it. However, I've yet to tire of these figures so I can't wait to get more.










No comments:

Post a Comment